Monday, June 2, 2014

My Wordsmith Tournament Game of the Week (May 23-29)

A Come-from-Behind Victory

I entered the final game of the 16 players bracket tournament after hurdling my first three rounds assignment. My opponent named iyf, started strongly until we reached the following position:

(Position after iyf's HAM)
I was trailing by 46 points and held this EWAIPES rack in this board position. No bingo for this rack. The blank was still out with 14 tiles in the bag. The ratio of vowels against consonants was about 1:2, therefore, statistically, consonant would be the probable pickup after my play. But then, if I would play WE on top of HINTER for 20 points, I would be around 26 points behind, but after an opponent's parallel play on top of this, the board would likely be blocked and it would result to advantage by iyf. I was also thinking to play WIPER in the R of HINTER to set up my S, but if he had the blank then it would be a disaster for me as this opened a double-double lane. And so, my best bet was to create a small opening for another bingo lane in case of good pick up from the bag, and this was my move:

(position after my WAP)
I played WAP keeping EEIS which sets up a simple front hook while keeping the other lanes open for bingo possibilities. I drew NDD in the bag, nice pick up! iyf's next turn:

(position after iyf's BO)
iyf started to partially block potential bingo scoring lanes. I expected this scenario awhile ago that's why the WAP's play was a crucial move for me. Check out my next play:

(position after my SDEINED)
SDEINED is the only playable bingo hooking S to WAP, a result of my previous set up play! I have drawn GCYAIUO in the bag. There are two tiles left and the unseen tiles of IOLMNRTW and blank. (If you are not familiar yet with the tile distribution and value for a Wordsmith game, you can see it here). iyf's next move:

(position after iyf's INdOW)
iyf played INdoW for 55 points and the score stood at 419-453. Now, checking out my tile tracking, I found out that iyf's rack was LMRT (no vowels), but I was trailing by 34 points. My first thought was to play the scoring move of YONIC (Y on DW and C on TL) for 38 points leaving AGOU, the score would then be 457-453 in my favor but the problem was I can't find any play out for my AGOU leave. If my opponent could find a two move play out, I could lose the game. I was worried of MARL through the AR for 10 points followed up by his inevitable two options play out of RIT or TORR. Say, if I continued with BEGO for 20 points after that, the score would be 477-463. Then, the RIT/(PAR, IT) play for 16 points + 2 points (AU) would give a final score of 475-481, a loss. So, the YONIC move should be dismissed.

Scenario 1:
tiger2002: YONIC: +38 -> 457
iyf: MARL: +10 -> 463
  Variation 1:
    if tiger2002: BEGO +20 -> 477
    then iyf: RIT +16 -> 479
    tiger2002: (AU) -2 -> 475
    iyf: (AU) +2 -> 481 (loss by 6 points)
  Variation 2:
    if tiger2002: GNU +6 -> 463 (blocking the RIT)
    then iyf: TORR +4 -> 467
    tiger2002: (AO) -2 -> 461
    iyf: (AO) +2 -> 469 (loss by 8 points)

Scenario 2:
tiger2002: AGONIC: +40 -> 459
iyf: MARL (on the triple) +24 -> 477
  Variation 1:
    if tiger2002: OY (JO/HAY) +19 -> 478
    then iyf: STYLITE +12 -> 489
    tiger2002: (U) -1 ->477
    iyf: (U) +1 -> 490 (loss by 13 points)
  Variation 2:
    if tiger2002: YOU (UH) +9 -> 468
    then iyf: (T) -1 -> 476
    tiger2002: (T) +1 -> 469 (loss by 7 points)

I have calculated other scenarios with starting score of 30+, but I can't find a possible win. But after an exhaustive analysis given a 1-day turn time limit, I found the solution! It was not a high scoring play but nevertheless, a set up move for a victory! Here was my move:

(position after my IO)
A powerful play of mere 7 points that set up an inevitable last move. iyf could not block with IT or ID, because it would only add up to my score. And so, he went for his best scoring move:

(position after iyf's LIT)
iyf's last tiles were MR (worth 3 points), and here comes my winning move...

(position after my GAUCY)
GAUCY scored 41 points plus 3 points for his unplayed tiles of MR, my total score was 470. iyf's final score was 469 after the deduction of 3 points.

(Final Score: tiger2002-470, iyf-469)
Winning 40 coins in this 16-players bracket tournament, my 358th win of 575 tourneys joined.

(tiger2002's profile stats after the tournament)

Here was the bracket results per round:



More stories to come later...







No comments:

Post a Comment